Sump Pump Installation, Replacement, Repair and Maintenance Services Available in Helmetta, Helmetta, NJ and Surrounding Areas
Avoid Flooding in the Cranbury, NJ Area With a Sump Pump
Heavy rainwater can leave a flood in the basement of your Cranbury, NJ area home. A sump pump from R.A. Nichols Plumbing & Heating can help you avoid a mess from the next deluge. Our professional, trained and certified team of plumbers can provide fast and easy sump pump installation, repair & replacement.
Sump pumps help drive water from heavy rains, snow, or flooding away from your home and prevent it from collecting in your basement.
Do I Need a Professional Installation?
You may be a great handyman and wish to install a sump pump on your own. While this is possible, sump pump projects can become complicated. You will need:
- Heavy Tools which you may not have access to.
- To know where utility lines are located, and avoid drilling or cutting into those lines.
- Familiarity with proper plumbing code, especially as municipality requirements change. (Many require that pumps be routed away from sanitary sewers, and hefty fines can be imposed against homeowners who fail to do so.)
We recommend investing in professional sump pump installations to ensure that the job will be completed according to code.
Sump Pump Installation Process
Our skilled and experienced plumbers will:
- Determine if a submersible or pedestal pump is needed
- Locate the appropriate utility lines and begin building the sump pit
- Determine the location of the discharge pipe and decide the best method of routing water away from your home
- Drill a hole in the floor for submersible sump pumps
- Install the liner and tub. The liner will be sealed in place, and we’ll make sure the installation is level with the floor
- Place the submersible pump in the pit, while the motor is placed underwater. A float valve will be visible through the water. As the water level rises, the pump is automatically activated.
The last steps involve connecting the discharge pipe to the pump, properly routing it outside the home, and then caulking and sealing the pipe.
How do Battery Backup Pumps Work?
Battery backup pumps operate similarly to primary sump pumps. They are designed to activate when the water level in the sump pit rises to a certain point. Once activated, the pump will remove water from the pit and send it outside the home through a discharge pipe. The difference is that battery backup pumps are powered by batteries instead of electricity.
When the power goes out, or the primary pump fails, the battery backup pump will automatically switch on and begin pumping water out of the sump pit. The backup pump is connected to a battery that provides power for several hours. Once the power is restored, or the primary pump is fixed, the battery backup pump will turn off and return to its standby mode.
Why are Battery Backup Pumps Helpful to Have?
There are several reasons why battery backup pumps are helpful to have in your home in the Helmetta, NJ, area, including:
- Protection Against Power Outages: One of the primary reasons to install a battery backup pump is to protect your basement from flooding during power outages. If you live in an area prone to storms and power outages, a battery backup pump can provide peace of mind and protect your home from water damage.
- Protection Against Primary Pump Failure: Even if you have a reliable primary sump pump, mechanical failure is always risky. If your primary pump fails, a battery backup pump can take over and prevent your basement from flooding.
- Protection Against Heavy Rain: Heavy rain can quickly overwhelm a primary sump pump, especially if the rain is prolonged. In these situations, a battery backup pump can provide additional support and prevent water from entering your basement.
- Lower Insurance Premiums: Many insurance companies offer homeowner’s insurance policies discounts for homes equipped with battery backup pumps. By installing a battery backup pump, you can potentially save money on your insurance premiums.
- Peace of Mind: Finally, installing a battery backup pump in your home can provide peace of mind, knowing that your home is protected from flooding and water damage.
Call Us Today for Your Sump Pump Needs!
R.A. Nichols Plumbing & Heating has won the Talk of the Town award for customer service for two years running! We offer upfront pricing, and our plumbers are always up to date on industry trends and advancements.